This last fall the boys and Randy desided to try to set out a gill line. This is a long line of netting
that is very fine and when the fish try to swim through it they get caught by their gills. They cannot go backwards at all. And this is how they get caught. The gill net itself is 5 feet tall and can be set in about 5 to 8 feet of water. This is a sport that many people do. The guys all wanted to try it but they did not know they would be breaking thru ice to do so. It was so cold and when they put the net out it was open water. Really it was!!!
It was about 2 inches of ice they had to break thru on both ends to get the net loose.
The net is about 100 feet long I think. They had chest waders but if I recall right they had a small hole in at least one of the pairs. The boys got a little COLD!!
Kenny trying to break thru the ice to get to the post that had the line on it.
Then they had to wrap it back up on the posts to be stored properly. As you can see they are new to this way of fishing and they did not get anything at all that I reacall anyway, lol. Many things to be learned I am thinking!!
That doesn't look like something I'd enjoy - too cold!
ReplyDeleteMary that day was so COLD out!!! you would not have liked it at all.
ReplyDelete