Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Turkey Hunting...

My husband and oldest son, Matt love to go out turkey hunting.   I went with Randy the other night to go scouting to find where the Tom's are hanging out trying to get a little....well you know what....   Here is a little background on Turkey's that I have learned in the last few days...


A Tom is a adult male turkey....they look like this...

A Jake turkey looks like this too but his tail feathers are not so big and he has a very short beard.

And then a female does not have the pretty tail feathers like the males.  They are also called a hen.  They look like this...

Here is a baby wild turkey...


Here are a few facts about turkey's that I have learned...

Caruncle - brightly colored growths on the throat region.  Turns bright red when the turkey is upset or during courtship.
Gizzard - a part of a bird's stomach that contains tiny stones.  It helps them grind up food for digestion.
Hen - a female turkey.
Poult - a baby turkey.  A chick.
Snood - the flap of skin that hangs over the turkey's beak.  Turns bright red when the turkey is upset or during courtship.
Tom - a male turkey.  Also known as a gobbler.
Wattle - the flap of skin under the turkey's chin. Turns bright red when the turkey is upset or during courtship.

So right now they are courting.   And this is the perfect time to call them in.   First you set out a blind like this

Then you need some turkey decoys like this....


And then you sit and sit and sit and sit some more.   You also call a for them too with a call that looks like this...

It really does make a turkey sound.   Amazingly, it really does.   I was amazed!!   But so in a perfect world the turkey will come into your decoys thinking they are females and wanting some courtship.   And then well you know what happens when they get there...........you shoot them.   And hopefully you get him.   Now to my knowledge you can only shoot a tom or a jake.   Then you tag him and you register him.   Then you are done.  I guess your season is only about 4 days to be able to hunt so you have to be prepared and know where they all are hanging out.   So that is where the scouting comes in. 

So thanks honey for showing me all the hard work you do to provide food on the table for us.   You work so hard doing what you love best "HUNTING"!!   It really is not that hard and I really think you totally enjoy the peace and quiet!  That is why I am so surprised that you really wanted me to come out hunting with you at all.   Why?  Well, he knows I have a hard time sitting still and I ask a ton of questions too as you can tell but that is how I learn so thanks for being patient with me, lol.   Love ya!  So I guess if I want to spend some time with the hubby I need to get into the hunting clothes and head to the blind with him.....off we go again to go scouting for those Tom's!!!!   I think I will sit with him in his blind at least one day during his turkey season. 




No comments:

Post a Comment